Hard boiled and Film Noir questions
Please respond to the following discussion questions in an informed and thoughtful way. Write at least a paragraph for each question, but no more than two. For each question, reference at least one text. Please copy assignment question to a separate file, complete and submit by Thursday 4/26 –before class. Late work will be marked down.
- What is Chandler’s main point in his essay, “The Simple Art of Murder?” Does he view detective stories favorably? Does he think the genre is important?
- Explain the historical context for Film Noir. How did this context create a fertile environment of the genre?
- How are women typically portrayed in Film Noir? What might these types be saying about the culture of the time? Of today?
- Consider ways that the hard-boiled detective intersects with Film Noir. How is this detective genre ideal for this film genre?
- In what ways is the hard-boiled genre different from the amateur detective genre? Be specific here!
- The hard- boiled detective genre has been likened to the western genre. Considering Raymond Chandler’s essay, how might you support this?