Faculty of Business Environment and Society
1)Why Do We Buy? Use theories of consumer behaviour to critically analyse and discuss
a) the various reasons behind why people consume and
b) the impact of marketing strategies on people’s consumption behaviour.
1) You need to read at least 15 peer-reviewed journal articles for this essay. Use relevant theory to support your answer – without references to relevant journal
articles, you will struggle to achieve the higher grades
3) Ignore journal articles older than 15 years – focus on those articles written after 2000
4) I will be expecting to see references on EVERY page. Use 2-4 references for each argument you make. Relying on ONE author/paper for an argument is not good academic
5) Your main source of research should be journal articles, but 1 or 2 book references are allowed. Website references ARE NOT allowed as the academic rigour of many
websites is questionable. Note that GOOGLING is not an appropriate research method, and sites like Wikipedia are completely unacceptable
6) Essays must be correctly referenced according to the Harvard Referencing style.
7) Essays must be double-line spaced and justified throughout. Quotes must be indented where appropriate. Please note that while a few quotes help you make your
argument, too many quotes will result in a loss of marks. I want to mark YOUR work not a list of quotes!
1)80% OF REFERENCES MUST BE FROM JOURNAL ARTICLES (See next slides for acceptable journals)
Academic books (E.g. Solomon et al or Avery et al). PLEASE NOTE THAT THE USE OF BOOKS AS SOURCES MUST BE LIMITED TO LESS THAN FOUR REFERENCES.
2)Magazines: I will allow the use of the following magazines/news sources: The Economist; Marketing; Marketing Week; The Financial Times; Business Week; CNN;
Bloomberg; BBC. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE USE OF THESE SOURCES MUST BE LIMITED TO ONCE OR TWICE.
3)Websites: Mintel, EuroMonitor or other Market Research Websites. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE USE OF THESE SOURCES MUST BE LIMITED TO ONCE.
4)list of accepted Journal- Journal of Advertising Research, Journal of Marketing , Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Advertising,
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Consumer Research , Journal of Business Research, International Journal of Bank Marketing, Journal of Marketing
Management, Journal of Macromarketing , Journal of Services Marketing, Advances in Consumer Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Marketing
Intelligence and Planning, Marketing Letters, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, International Journal of Advertising, International
Marketing Review, Psychology and Marketing, Irish Marketing Review, European Journal of Marketing, Marketing Science *, Journal of Consumer Marketing, International
Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, Consumption, Markets and Culture, Journal of Non-Profit and Public Sector Marketing, Journal of Euromarketing,
Journal of Strategic Marketing, Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Electronic Markets, Journal
of Customer Behavior,
Learning Outcomes Assessed:
The intended learning outcomes are that on completion of this module the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the main theories in consumer behaviour and how these can be applied in marketing endeavours.
2. Develop an understanding of current issues in consumer behaviour, such as internet consumption and ethical consumer behaviour.
3. Produce a critical analysis of a contemporary issue in consumer behaviour.
"Are you looking for this answer? We can Help click Order Now"
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.